September 14, 2008

Kitchen Helpers

I now have two lil kitchen helpers as my sons have volunteered to help me in the kitchen. Toddler is quite independent and likes to cut and eat his own food like cheese or fruits. At first I was a little apprehensive about him using a knife but he is coping beautifully (I only let him use a butter knife). Apparently, there is nothing unusual in letting them use a knife, as my neighbour, a qualified teacher, also mentioned that her toddler uses one to cut his food up.
His older brother, ds likes to help me stirfry veges, adding the bits and pieces enthusiastically into the pan. He can also make his own omelettes. I think it might be because he is used to baking cookies at school that he is not adversed to the idea of helping in the kitchen . He tells me he wants to learn how to cook so he can cook stuff for me when his older. How thoughtful! I think he might have a knack for cooking when he growns up.

2 comments:

elisataufik said...

My kids help out in the kitchen too. I think it's a great way to encourage them to eat and try out new food. They proudly taste and eat the food they help make at the dinner table.
My older ones help out with the dishwashing as well, so *phew* that's another laod off my back! :)

Swahili said...

my veg. are never cut the same shape, sometimes really odd size

be careful of butter knife, it does cut. he now uses Kiddy Plastic knife.

hmmm...yes Harris does aspire to be a chef (amongst others)