October 17, 2006

Shopping in Ramadan

Shopping! Something quite a lot of women love to do .. Me included. I love to shop whether going to the mall for just window shopping or even virtual shopping through the internet which is as easy as a click of a button. However, my passion for shopping isn't shared by my dh as he would just roll his eyes when he finds out how much I spend sometimes. No wonder they have a book titled "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" . Without a doubt, many men and women are certainly at different wave length on this subject. Though to say the least, I am quite perplexed that he can spend hours at Big W with the older kids just browsing the DVD and toys section before emerging with heaps of things for them. Hmmm.
Fortunately, my sister and mum share the same passion for shopping to some degree . Infact, I can say they are quite pro shoppers , much ahead of me in the game. They can spot a bargain and find the best deal or the coolest item or whatever on the street. However, the current situation does not permit me to meet them frequently as we are residing in a different city and country altogether. So I would just browse on the net and sometimes sms my sister for some advice if I need them.
I have to say I have not done much shopping in Ramadan. I have hardly bought anything for myself and my children this month. This is odd for me as previously I would just love to go to Big W to buy some good and affordable clothes to wear for the new season. I have to say that fasting is a good way of suppressing my nafs for shopping.
I have already bought my 2 older children their new baju raya that they could wear for Eid ul Fitr about 5 months ago when I was back in KL, so there is no need to buy any more clothes for the two now. I have been looking to buy some abaya for myself on the net but I never got past the checkout counter as I was thinking oh.. I have some old abayas that I haven't worn that many times before so I could wear them if need be. My dh would feel very relieved to know that I am feeling this way in Ramadan. Good for the pocket hey!

1 comment:

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Yes, please link to me. I'll link to you, too, as soon as I figure out how to do it. I need to ask one of my sons.

I wish I had you restraint towards shopping this Ramadan. Actually, I held out pretty well until Monday. Then I got online with my debit card. . .But it's for Eid. (Well, I did buy myself a couple books.)

We're expecting Eid on the 23rd, insha Allah.

Take care.

Jamilah

P.S.--Congratulations on your new blog. It's nice.