February 02, 2007

A Taxi Tale

The kids have started their new school term this week and it looks like they are settling well in their class. So I decided to go out for some shopping today instead of staying in. I took a taxi instead of going by bus as it was raining heavily in the morning. Usually, I would call my normal cab number and they would come right away but today I thought I'd try the alternative cab co. It took quite a long time for the taxi to arrive as my number was linked to another address on their database . Finally, when the taxi arrived, I huddled my baby and stroller in the car while the driver looked on. Normally, they would help me put my stuff in the boot.
When we were in the cab heading to the destination, the driver asked me what religion I was. I said I am muslim. I asked him whether he is muslim or sikh. He said he is Sikh. Then he asked me why muslim men can marry 4? This is one of the favourite questions I get asked by cab drivers when they know I am muslim. So I usually answer it by giving some logical explanation that came into my mind. Honestly, I think a man could rationalise and be able to answer this question himself better than a woman! Today I reasoned that there is only one very very short sentence in the Quran (which contains >6000 aayah/sentences) that mentions men could marry more than one. (So why the fuss?).
Anyway, this particular cab driver was asking me a lot of questions. Eg Where are you from? I answered Malaysia. Before you went to Malaysia, where were you from originally?? Malaysia. I thought I answered that already. Do you speak Urdu? No I don't speak Urdu. More qts. How old are you? How many kids? Are you married ? Are you happily married??? Gosh! He was bombarding me with some personal questions and I wasn't ready for the onslaught. My mind was on other things like when would we arrive at my destination! I am sure he was driving slower... and slower...
At last, when we were almost there, he said "Actually, you have a beautiful face, especially ...." When I heard that, I had to laugh and I said "Gosh , I haven't heard someone said that to me for a long time". And then he went on to say "If you were not married, I would offer you." ??? ?? Me think , OFFER ME WHAT??? But I rather not know the answer. To that, I just hurried myself and baby out of the cab after I paid the fare . He said that he hoped to see me again. No way, jose is all I can say. I am sticking to my old cab co next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how uncomfortable! I suppose in some ways it's flattering but then again..just EWWWW!

Earthmom said...

Yep! This certainly made its way to the top of list of the most uncomfortable and awkward cab ride EVER and shattered a long time record held by a cab driver fresh from Africa, to pieces.

Blabarella said...

LOL, just take it as a compliment but never use that cab company again, and hope that he doesn't later get employed by the current cab co you use!

MAHAGURU58 said...

Sorry to hear that you had to suffer such a situation!

I thought only Malaysian taxi drivers were 'gatal' but it seems the sickness infects cab drivers everywhere! Tch tch tch!

That cabbie should be reported to the authorities.

Thanks be to the Almighty for protecting you.

Earthmom said...

ms blabs, There is nooo way that I'm flattered when people think I'm in my 20s when actually I AM in my 20s (at heart). Lol. He would have to repaint his car if he changes co as they go by color here.

mahaguru58, thanks for your concern. Unfortunately , some male cabbies tend to behave inappropriately towards women sometimes. I hope the number of cabbies who commit this are few and far between though from my observation this "penyakit menggatal" happens worldwide. (sigh). All we ask from them are some common courtesy plus a little self control. Perhaps, we should suggest to taxi cos to train their staff to behave in a professional clean manner towards their passengers at all times. I wonder if that will work!