December 21, 2007

Ds Gets It

I've always made a point to explain to dd and ds the meaning of Allah and muslim so they won't be confused of their muslim identity. Unlike me when I was a kid, I had little clue what a muslim entails except learning arabic letters and tajwid at M'sian Hall on Sundays. Everytime I went to the brownies weekly meeting with my sister, the head teacher would ask each brownies attendee, one by one, if we went to church with the group last Sunday and if we hadn't, then why not? I had to answer that we're muslim as this was what my mum told me to say. It was quite frightening for me to defend myself (and sis) and answer like this at the time and I wonder why the teacher didn't get what I was saying and why she had to ask the same question the following week.
Whereas Dd has quite a good understanding of her religion and could explain some islamic terms etc, I wasn't expecting my playful dear son(ds) to understand much. However, last week he was watching a cartoon on TV by himself called "Joseph and the multicolor coat" and there was one scene when one prisoner asked Joseph what did he believed in, and Joseph said "I believe in the one true God."Ds quietly said "One True God!" and a lightbulb hit him and he exclaimed to me "Mama, Joseph believed in Allah. Joseph is a muslim!" OMG! Ds gets it!

6 comments:

D said...

WoW! Monotheism at an early age... Well done, mommy!

Earthmom said...

Thanks for dropping by, d.
I still need to work on ds as he watched a lot of tv on xmas day and he said to his sister and me, "Jesus is God/son of God?!" and dd said "No ! He is a prophet". Ofcourse , I had to clarify that for him.

Anonymous said...

awww, mashaAllah! that is so cute. and clever! you must be proud of him.

good job, mummy!

Christmas TV sucks, huh?

Earthmom said...

Yes I am proud of him for figuring that out himself but I wish he would spend less time watching superhero dvds and cartoons!

Norma Kassim PhD said...

wonderful is it not, the young minds ..

Earthmom said...

Absolutely! young minds are the best!