February 14, 2008

Horizontal Acceleration

[I haven't updated dd's gifted blog much. I'll just copy and paste this later. ]
I've decided to go with horizontal acceleration instead of vertical acceleration for dd like her class teacher suggested to dh last year. That means I'm in view of developing other aspects (beside literacy and numeracy) namely the sports , social and the arts. She excelled in the literacy and numeracy test last year, her results being over and above average than the state level and in the majority of her numeracy subjects, her marks was high off the charts! (I can't figure out what that means?) I don't want to concentrate too much on academic stuff as if/when we go back to KL, it will be all about marks in school as it is highly exam oriented there. (I mean how many exams a year do kids have to do there?) Me being the antithesis of all this, I'm of the opinion that young childrens should enjoy their school years instead of stressing too much about exams. So no extra tuition for her this year even in Maths or English. She'll just do what interest her. That's a lot of stuff that she likes and she can excel in them fairly quickly eg the arts, music, science, foreign language. Dd and her bro sometimes attend the fun activities/workshop organised by the Gifted and Talented Children Assoc too and I think I have more than enough things going on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay. I will need some pointers from you once Akif is at that stage.

Swahili said...

Am i wrong (coz i like to be right) to say Spore must be the worse place on earth to bring kids up.Piano classes at 2? I try to be subjective, but I cant..its stressful.

http://cooswahili.blogspot.com/2007/11/2-3-4-home-schooling.html

On a separate note, i send you an email (rejapman right?)...if you dnt get it, send me a note on norhansu@gmail.com.

Earthmom said...

Ailin,
sure I think I could give some pointers but what stage is Akif at? Though my boys are bright and creative, they are not academically inclined to read and write yet. As their dad say, it is okay as he learnt to read at the age of 9 and he turned out okay. (Their dad was a school debater, science project champion and student leader etc.)

Swahili,
That must be a real education low to start piano lessons at 2! At least they should be out of their nappies first (unless someone can get their baby to be out of nappies by age 1)! But does S'pore allow homeschooling for primary/seconday schools too? It is unheard of in M'sia to homeschool your kids. I mean everyone wants to send their kids to what they perceive as the best school.
Good on you Swahili! I'm pro homeschooling, if it gives good results then why not? (I would homeschool my kids more if someone could just do the laundry and clean the house for me!)
(Oh and I've received your email.:)Will reply shortly inshA)