May 16, 2009

Bushwalking

As I said in my previous post, it is a bit chilly in the morning now and I am not in a hurry to go out the front door until the temperature increase a little, nearing mid-day. However, older son was repeating for a few days prior, that he was going to the rainforest on Saturday. I said to him that there isn't any rainforest around here where we live, just maybe at the Botanic Gardens. It turned out they planned to go bushwalking in the Nature Reserve just a few kms away. I decided to follow too but nobody told me we had to track up a hill! It felt more like the song Miley Cyrus keep singing about these days, "The Climb"...
It was not a bad hike going up, down and around the hill. However, son was a bit disappointed he couldn't find any animals and kept expressing his disappointment . Maybe we should of taken him to the zoo instead of bushwalking. We did see some skinks though which he tried to capture but they managed to escape into the undergrowth. (You know, the skinks in our garden shed were much larger if he wanted to get them.)
I brought my camera along too and was a bit disappointed that I could not spot any birds most of the way although I could hear their calls. The only consolation was a kookaburra which I managed to spot a kookaburra deep in the reserve. It was probably the only I bird I got this time around. The rest of the photos I took were mainly of trees, a caterpillar, butterflies and spiders.
Dh didn't really know the way around the hill reserve although he had studied the map at the entrance and decided which one we were going to follow but I guess we didn't stick to plan. Thankfully, he borrowed my phone which had a GPS and we could find our way back to our starting point. Older son was moody and younger son was tired after maybe an hour , so we stopped at the top of the hill for some needed refreshments. Older son was still in a dark mood after that, walking grudgingly but when his dad promised to get him a toy after the hike, he was motivated to walk and even ran pass us. I was mainly left behind on this hike, taking my time to get a good shot even though there weren't anything much to take pics of. But it's all good.

No comments: