November 27, 2006

Children Safety at Home

Baby choked on something he found somewhere. I was washing dishes and he was wondering around as usual. I had given him a tub of jelly and thought he would be happy to eat that but he wasn't . When I heard him coughing badly like something was stuck, I tried to do roughly what I read in the first aid booklet about how to help a baby dislodge the thing stuck in his throat. First, I tilted him down so that whatever it was could fall out, then I checked his throat passage to see if there was anything stuck. Then I tilted him again and pressed his shoulder blades with my hands. He was breathing and whatever it was fell out thank God although he was crying unhappily. I think it was pistachio shell I found on the floor.
I have some links about children safety given to me by a lady at eidfest which she wants us to circulate. A lot of accidents happen at home so it is better to be safe than sorry.
Goto www.health.qld.gov.au/brochure/keep_children.asp for a general safety guide.
www.kidsafew.com.au and go to factsheet. There is a section on how to help a child in a choking episode in choking and suffocation. Others include fire and burns, pedestrian safety, electrical safety and many more.

No comments: