November 10, 2006

The mystery of the disappearing fried chicken...

I had deep fried 8 pieces of chicken (ie a whole medium size chicken) the other day and left it on the dining table. After that I went upstairs to do some other things. When I came down, it was gone! I asked who ate it all up? (Silence except the sound coming from the TV ). Nobody owned up. I queried dh and he said he ate 2 pieces with the nasi lemak and sambal udang I cooked earlier. Dd is not a fan of fried chicken so that means that my 5 year old son ate the rest. I know that he really loves fried chicken but boy can he eat them... Next time I would just have to remind him how many pieces he can eat at one time.
This incident transported me back in time when I was growing up in Bangkok around my son's age. One of our house helpers was an old Thai cook who would cook fried chicken in hot chilli sauce (our family favourite) and leave it in the pot in the kitchen. Then she would go out the back to the servant quarters.
Nobody was around when I took one chicken piece from the pot and ate the flesh off it. Then I would throw the chicken bone over the fence to the next door neighbour's dog. Unfortunately, the dog was tied up and could not reach the piece of chicken. So I would get another one and throw it to him again. I think I did that many times and one of my brothers aided me until there were only a couple of pieces left in the pot. We did managed to throw a piece or two directly to the dog which he gobbled up immediately. Haha.
My mum or our helpers might have wondered who on earth ate that much chilli fried chicken that day. Not to mention, the friendly Thai next door neighbour who might have no clue where all the fried chicken bones scattered in his compound came from!

No comments: