November 08, 2006

Documenting Native Birds

While I was googling the net the other day, dh thought I was doing something on my blog again and gave a passing remark that "no one would read your blog coz people are only interested at looking at photos". So I had an assignment for him to do when we went to the Botanical Gardens. He was to photograph "native birds" with his digicam so that I could put it up on my blog. Maybe a pic of the colourful rainbow lorikeets , a white ibis or even a kookaburra if we're lucky enough to spot one.
We arrived there half an hour before closing time. Dh had to drive up the hill to get something at the cafe for kiddies so I went in first with dd and baby. We walked to our favourite spot near the lake and did some bird spotting. I was equipped with a pair of compact binoculars to look at birds up on the trees. There were also many mandarin ducks on the lake , maybe 50 or more. When dh arrived , it was 5 minutes to closing and the caretaker was on his way to close the sidegate. He suggested that we could take a walk in the gardens but would have to exit the main entrance later so we followed his recommendation. I insisted dh take photos of the ducks near the pond. Unfortunately, the ducks were calling it a day too, some of them curling their necks and nestling their heads on their bodies to keep warm against the evening breeze. They are not in any mood to have their pic snapped! Wait a minute! Mandarin ducks are not native birds to Australia alone as they are found all over the world. I guess we would have to call it a day too and find another time to take pics for a photo blog.

2 comments:

S.U.E said...

i would read ur blog. pics or no pics :D it's the content that counts.

Earthmom said...

Thanks sunflower for your assurance. As a newbie in the blogophere , I am really not in the position to blog for readership nor is it my intention. However, I got my redemption when dh finally read my blog and said "you are quite a good writer and should send articles to the newspaper.":)